Keeping It All Going

After another losing session of live poker — six straight losses and nine of the last 10 (ugh!) I decided to take a day or so off to work on some other aspects of my business.

From 2003-10 I owned a business in Kansas City called Monster Sports LLC. Despite its clunky name Monster Sports LLC was moderately successful. The business started by doing on-air radio work and growing an apparel business. I would eventually manage coaches associations, market and consulting for a major bar and grill chain and a small Catholic college, and even tried to bring a Kansas vs. Missouri high school football series to Arrowhead Stadium.

After the economic downtown of 2008-09, I accelerated my plan to wrap up by business and relocate to Las Vegas. I gave away much of the business to other people and moved to Las Vegas in January 2010.

Monster Sports LLC is set to make a comeback in 2014. It’s going to take some rebranding, but it all part of my plan to work for myself and control my own future. It seems like the universe was listening to my desires because just as I decided to go my own way business-wise an old friend called about doing some television work in Las Vegas. My Las Vegas friends don’t know this, but a decade ago I was a television sportscaster for a local cable station in Kansas City. I am looking forward to a paid gig at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas this week.

I am also writing a paid weekly poker column for a Boulder City/Henderson paper call The Shopper. The owner is a good friend who supported me well when I was in poker management business.

By taking Friday off to concentrate on my business, my home and just clear my head I was more than prepared to take on the weekly $10K guaranteed prize pool tournament at Binion’s in downtown Las Vegas. The tournament goes off every Saturday at 2PM.

Every Saturday at 2PM, Binion’s hosts a $10K guaranteed prize pool poker tournament.

Since I hadn’t played a live tournament in two months I chose this one due to the large starting stacks and 30-minute levels. I figured if I had some rust to shake out of the system I could afford to make a mistake or two here and still survive.

I played well for the first few hours steadily but unspectacularly building my chip stack. As the tournament got down to three tables I caught some cards and played better. When we got to the final table I was second in chips.

With seven players left I was still second in chips, but the chip leader had amassed more than half of all the chips in play. This led to some other player to clamor for a chop. Seventh place was paying $455 and the chop was netting $1052. I think I could have held out for another elimination or two. After nine hours of play, however, I decided to take the chop.

Just like that I am back in the black in poker, and the rest of my business is coming together as well.

Previous Bankroll: $836
Current Bankroll: $1,431

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: